Pages

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Return Journey

 Like I said, we left Ntoleni at shortly after 8:00 Friday morning. We made the 2 hour drive to East London, and arrived to the airport shortly after 10:00. We had been worrying about our luggage, wether they would be over or not. We weren't even sure how much we were allowed, if it was 44 lbs or 50 lbs. In case we had to juggle our stuff from suitcase to suitcase, we immediately went to the baggage check-in. We got there just in the nick of time, because right after we got in line, about a dozen people came after us!  The Lord answered our prayers when the limit was indeed 50 lbw, and we were a good amount under the limit! We were so relieved, and thanked the Lord right out in front of the lady. We were not out of the woods yet though. We were hoping they wouldn't check our carry on, because everywhere else they don't bother. But, sure enough, a guy in a bright yellow security vest came over and took our carry on to weigh it. I knew right off that mine was SIGNIFICANTLY overweight, but played dumb for the time being (one advantage of a blonde :P). It was no surprise when I was 7 kgs over the limit, which is basically double! Thankfully our bags hadn't gone through yet, so we took the opportunity to re-evaluate. We went behind the desk with our carry-ons and a big suitcase, got down on the floor on our hands and knees and we re-arranged. I took out my purse to use as a second carry-on. I also put my big, 5 lb science textbook into my suitcase, which significantly decreased the weight. He reweighed my carry-on, and it was still slightly overweight even though the only thing in it was my laptop and some clothes. I was racking my brain, trying to think of what  could possibly take out! As I got back on my hands and knees, to go through my stuff, the guy behind the counter, who helped us with our bags, yelled to the guy weighing the carry-ons, in another language, saying something about my laptop. At first the carry-on guy shook his head, but after a bit more convincing, the carry-on guy nodded. The guy then turned to me and said it was fine, and I could go now! I was so happy! I couldn't help but think how good our God is! There was no doubt he would be with us through the trip! Mark had been waiting patiently for us through this whole ordeal, so I'm sure he was quite relieved to see us coming out. The good-bye was short and sweet, consisting of a quick hug and a quick "Thanks for everything! Bye!" We had an hour to kill before we had to go through security, so we went to our favourite spot to eat, Mugg & Bean! I got a muffin and a Cappuccino, and we just sat on the stools and enjoyed the relaxing time. When we went through security, it was getting pretty crowded, but we found some seats. It wasn't long until we were boarding the plane, and bound for Jo'burg. It was only an hour flight, and it went by really fast! They served a light lunch, consisting of a extremely good chicken wrap and a drink, I picked Grapetiser. We had to take a bus when we got off in Jo'burg, to go from the plane to the terminal. It was kind of awkward because through this whole time I had to carry this canvas painting I bought, but it was too big to fit into my suitcase. Luckily it isn't heavy. We didn't rush when we got into the airport, knowing we had 9 hours till take off. We decided to go through security right away, and go shopping there. 
We boarded our 737 at around 8:00, having no trouble finding seat 46 K and H. The seats were right behind the exit seats, which have lots of legroom, so we were hoping they would be empty. Just as Elaine asked me weather to move or not, 2 gentlemen came and claimed the seats. We were slightly disappointed, but we got over it. SAA (South African Airways) is my favourite airline! On your seat they have a little package filled with a travel toothbrush and toothpaste, big long socks in case your feet get cold and a little mask thing to put over your eyes when you want to sleep! We were so happy this time to see the airplane had individual screens on the back of the seats. the last time they only had the big monitor screens mounted in the centre. For supper we had the choice of lamb, fish, or vegetarian meal. I picked the lamb, and Elaine went with the vegetarian, since she doesn't do good with lamb at the best of times. I played around with the entertainment system for a while, then watched a movie. I took a half of a gravel and by the end of the movie, I could barely keep my eyes open. It was likely well after 12:00 when I put on some music, and my sleeping mask and finally went to sleep. Next thing I know, I wake up, its 4:30, and Elaine was out of the seat. I was feeling the serious need to stretch, so I decided to get up and take a walk, through the isles full of sleeping people to go to the toilet. I was tempted to take another half gravel when I got back to my seat, but opted against it, knowing we'd be landing in a little over 3 hours, and I didn't want to miss the food. :) I slept for another 2 hours or so, which felt good. When the breakfast cart came to our row, I got the continental breakfast, consisting of 3 different kinds of cold meat, 2 cubes of cheese, a yogurt, fruit, croissant and I got orange juice for a drink. What a relief when the captain came on to say we'd be starting our descent shortly. When we finally landed in Heathrow, we'd been sitting for 12 hours straight! It was a nice long walk from the plane to the first terminal, then we had to go on a bus to get to terminal 3. Security was lined right up to the end of the ropes when we walked in. We stood there patiently waiting, watching everyone doing their own little thing, then Elaine and I took into the giggling. It was horrible, We sat there laughing, trying to be quiet, but we could not help it. Looking around at all the stern, serious faces around just made us laugh harder. It also didn't help that two guys we had been previously laughing at, because of one guys big, pink, flowery bag, and the others yellow shoes and tight white pants, were standing right behind us. Finally when it was our turn, I went through and beeped. The lady searched me, and without too much hassle, graciously sent me on my way. We killed time for 3 hours, then at 10:15 got ready to board the plane. My excitement was mounting with every step that would bring me closer to getting home. We were in for another long flight, but not near as long as 12 hours. It was exciting when we realized we'd be landing in Halifax a half an hour earlier than planned, landing at 1:30. By the time we got through the colossal line up for declaring our stuff, it was a little after 2:00. We got our bags, and we were both anticipating seeing our loved ones on the other side, when they told me I had to go to declare my painting because of the wooden frame. Walking down the hall I could have screamed! Elaine had to go on without me. It didn't take long, and the guys were nice, so it wasn't so bad, and next thing you know I was out hugging Mom, Dad Bennett and grammy Jones even came to welcome me! It was a bit of a killer to spend three more hours sitting down in a car to get home. We stopped into the Superstore on the way home, in Summerside. As we were pulling into the parking lot who did we see, but Wanda, Allison and Kate MacNeill! I was realy glad to see them again, and we said hello through the window. Not 2 minutes later, did we see Hans and Rachelle in the parking lot too! It was a great reunion! We saw a few more people when we went int the store too. As we were coming out, I looked and saw these 3 black people. There's not many black people on PEI, let alone Summerside, but what caught my attention was the girl. Then it hit me! The girl was on the same flight as us to Halifax! She was too far away by this time or else I would have stopped and talked to her for a minute! It was 7:00 when we made it home sweet home!

No comments:

Post a Comment